Low-Income Self-Sufficiency Plan (LSP)

DTE Energy's Low-Income Self-Sufficiency Plan (LSP) is a low, affordable payment plan for eligible income qualified families. This program allows you to make affordable monthly payments based on your income. The remaining portion of your bill is paid monthly with your energy assistance funds.
To be eligible for additional assistance you must have a State Emergency Relief (SER) funds approval.

Program Highlights

Program benefits include:

  • Affordable fixed monthly payments based on income and energy usage
  • Past due balances are frozen at the time of enrollment and may be reduced if regular monthly payments are made
  • Self-sufficiency training
  • Dedicated customer advocates ready to assist you
  • Protection from shut off while on the plan
  • No late payment charges while enrolled in the program
Didn't find the answer? Browse our DTE Energy FAQ.
Federal and State Eligibility Criteria
  • Income equal to or less than 150 percent Federal Poverty Level (FPL) Guidelines
  • Energy usage (electric and gas) over the last 12 months is comparable with average annual usage for a residential customer
  *The eligibility requirements have been defined according to federal and state energy assistance criteria.


Enrollment Process

The LSP program is a 24 month program that requires household income and energy usage validation every year for all participating customers.

New customers interested in LSP must first be approved for State Emergency Relief (SER).  To apply for SER, visit Michigan Department of Health and Human Services (MDHHS) or another human service agency listed under “How to apply”.

How to Apply

DTE Energy partners with various human service agencies to perform income and usage eligibility validation for the LSP program.

Participating Agency Website Link Phone Number
MCAAA (Michigan Community Action Agency Association) https://micommunityaction.org/agency-services/   
Salvation Army http://sawmni.org/wmni/energy-assistance  (855) 929-1640
St. Vincent de Paul http://svdpdet.org/need-help/energy-assistance/ (313) 393-2930
Superior Watershed Partnership https://superiorwatersheds.org/energy-conservation  (906) 273-2742
THAW (The Heat and Warmth Fund) https://thawfund.org/programs/  (800) 866-8429
True North https://www.truenorthservices.org/Assistance/Heat-and-Energy  (231) 355-5880
United Way of Jackson County https://uwjackson.org/pac/  (517) 741-0202
United Way SEM (Southeastern MI) https://unitedwaysem.org/get-help/community-resources/utility-assistance/  (844) 211-4994