Low-Income Programs

DTE Energy understands the importance of energy in our daily lives. That's why we work with government agencies and community organizations to bring energy and payment assistance to income qualified residents. This video describes which documents and information you will need to provide when applying for energy assistance programs.

If you are behind on your energy bill, please contact us at (800) 477-4747 before your service is subject to shutoff. We will work with you to set up a payment plan or advise you of assistance agencies in your area.

Income Eligibility Guidelines

Federal Poverty Guidelines
Number of Household Members 110%
(SER, THAW, Salvation Army, MCAAA) Monthly
200% (SPP) Monthly
7 $43,064.00 $4,955.00 $6,607.00
8 $48,532.00 $5,515.00 $7,353.00
For each additional person add
*Some non-profit agencies might provide assistance to households with a higher income level. Please contact the agency for details.
Wayne County - Foreclosure Prevention
To learn more about foreclosure prevention assistance for Wayne County residents call (877) 693-6199.
Energy Efficiency Assistance Program
Assistance with money-saving home weatherization may be available to those who qualify. Weatherization includes caulking, weather stripping, insulation and programmable thermostats. For more information, please call our Energy Efficiency Contact Center at (866) 796-0512.
Federal - Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC)
A federal earned income tax credit is available based on income level and number of qualifying child dependents. To apply, you must file a federal income tax return with Schedule EIC. You can receive part of the credit in your paycheck by completing a W5 form with your employer for Advanced EIC or you can apply for the credit at tax time. To learn more, contact the IRS at (800) 829-3676.
Home Heating Credit (HHC)
Low-income customers, at or below 110 percent of the federal poverty level, may be eligible for a home heating credit for the 2016 tax year to help pay winter heating bills. Ask your local tax preparer or seek free assistance from the Accounting Aid Society at (866) 673-0873 or (313) 556-1920.
Discounts on monthly wireline or wireless telephone service are available for eligible low-income subscribers. Contact your local telephone company for more information or visit fcc.gov/lifeline.
Michigan Community Action
The Michigan Community Action member service network provides energy assistance and home weatherization to reduce energy use and lower utility bills to qualified low-income customers. All services to qualified applicants are free. For more information, call us at (517) 321-7500.
Residential Income Assistance Credit (RIA)
Low-income customers, at or below 150 percent of the federal poverty level, may qualify for a $7.50 per month credit on their electric account and/or a $11.25 per month credit on their gas account.
The Salvation Army
The Salvation Army provides energy assistance and other services to low-income customers. To find a Salvation Army center near you, visit salvationarmyusa.org.
State-Earned Income Credit (EIC)
A state-earned income refundable credit is available for low-income working individuals and families who meet requirements for a federal earned income credit. To claim the Michigan EIC, you must complete and file a federal 1040, 1040A or 1040EZ. After your federal EIC has been approved, you must complete a Michigan form MI-1040. To learn more, contact the Michigan Department of Treasury at (517) 373-3200.
State Emergency Relief Program (SER)
The State Emergency Relief program (SER) provides immediate help to low-income households who meet federal income guidelines and have a past due utility bill or a shut-off notice. Contact the Michigan Department of Health & Human Services at (855) 275-6424.
The Heat and Warmth Fund (THAW)
The Heat and Warmth Fund provides energy assistance and other services to low-income customers who have overdue payments, are in a shut-off status or have been disconnected. To learn more about THAW, call (800) 866-THAW (8429).

Apply for the Gateway Assistance Program (GAP) and other THAW Programs.
Michigan 2-1-1
Michigan 2-1-1 is a free confidential service that links people with local community-based organizations across the state to help with utility assistance and other needs. To learn more, call 211 on your mobile phone.
Rider 4 Waiver for Low Income Housing
Applicable Owners or authorized agents of a newly constructed or rehabilitated multifamily dwelling, shall have the opportunity to avoid the requirement of metering each residential housing unit separately. Application located here.